Last updated April 31, 2005
Memorial Day and Labor Day are bookend holidays, marking the
beginning and end of the summer holidays in the United States.
These three-day weekends traditionally are times for celebration
and family outings.
Celebrated in most states on the last Monday in May, Memorial Day is a time to remember the U.S. men and
woman who lost their lives serving their country. Originally known as Decoration Day, it was established in
1868 to commemorate the dead from the Civil War. Over the years it came to serve as a day to remember all U.S.
men and women killed or missing in action in all wars.
Join the Davis Virtual Market in exploring some sites on the web that help us remember what Memorial Day is all about.
Memorial Day Web Sites
- Other Sites of Interest
- Literature, Poetry, Letters
- What They had to say on War and Peace
- American Revolution
- American Revolutionary War - Time Line of the American Revolution.
- American Revolutionary War Archive - American Revolution Archive for Kids.
- American Revolutionary - Links and Resources for Kids
- American Revolutionary - Links and Resources for the rest of us
- Civil War
- Civil War information, documents, and archive.
- Selected Civil War Photographs Home Page
- American Civil War Homepage
- American Civil War Web Site
- Spanish American War
- Spanish American War Memorial Web Site
- Spanish American War Web Site -- the Ultimate Web Guide
- Spanish American War Veteran Ancestry
- World War I
- Document Archives of WWI
- World War One Web Site -- Ultimate Web Guide
- World War II
- History-WWII - Year by year chronology of World War II
- Military History-WWII - Military History-WWII - Links to WWII Web Sites
- World War II Photo Links -- search
through 1,000 WW2 pictures.
- World War II Links -- the Ultimate Link Page.
- World War II - 60 Years Ago Archives - articles on WWII
- USA WWII Memorial Web Site -- with Registry of WWII veterans
- Korean War
- Korean War Veterans Memorial Homepage
- Korean War Project Homepage
- Examining The Korean War Homepage -- links to Oral Histories and resouces
- United State Army Korean War 50th Aniversary
- The Korean-War Homepage
- Vietnam War
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall Page -- also a Registry
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial Park Page
- Vietnam Veterans Home Page
- Persian Gulf War
- Gulf War Veteran Resource Pages
- Operation Desert Storm Home Page
We are looking for links for Iraq and Afghanistan veteran resources. E-mail G Richard Yamagata at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit links or articles to be considered for posting.
Peace and Conflict Resolution - Excellent peace resources
- Conflict Resolution Homepage - List of Linked Resources
- Peace and Conflict Links - From the Peace and Conflict Studies Dept at U of Colorado at Boulder
- PeaceWeb - A Quaker homepage on peace.
- Peace Corps Home Page
- United States Institute of Peace
- Peace Tree - Links to net resources devoted to diversity, justice, and peace.
- Programs for Peace and Conflict Resolution
- The Institute of Public Policy Program on Peace Operations
- Women Resources for Waging Peace
- Peace and Disarmament
Memorials, Casualty Files
- Beruit Memorial -- On-line -- "They came in peace (update 8/25/99"
- Operation Mahalo -- A USS Utah Memorial Ceremony on December 7
- USS Missouri Memorial
- War Stories of the Viet Nam War
- 173rd Airborne Brigade -- a site with moving midi music
- Korean Conflict and Viet Nam War Casualty Files
- Korean War Veterans Memorial News -- Name of note is H Barker...
- Pearl Harbor Casualties List
- Remembrance: Casualties of the Vietnam War
- Vietnam Casualty Files
- Vietnam Veterans Memorials
- Library of Congress POW / MIA Database
- The Women in Military Service for America Memorial,
Located at the ceremonial entrance to Arlington National Cemetery. The memorial is the only national memorial to honor ALL women who have served both in and with the military since the American Revolution. Please visit their website at womensmemorial.org. The memorial just unveiled a new exhibit to Native American Women veterans and honors Spec. Lori Piestawa, killed in Iraq. There is also an exhibit of photos from the new book, A Day in the Life of The US Armed Services. Later this summer the exhibit of the Pentagon quilts will return and run through the end of September, 2003.
Other Sites of Interest
- MEMORIAL DAY
- MEMORIAL DAY PRAYER
- HOW TO OBSERVE MEMORIAL DAY
- A MEMORIAL DAY SALUTE
- EVERY DAY IS MEMORIAL DAY
- The Flag of the United States of America - History of American Flag from the ultimate American Flag web Resources
- The Flag of the United States of America - Excellent history of American Flag and other American Flag links.
- US Army Web Site
- US Army Web Site - Visit a US Army Museum on Memorial Day
- United States Navy - Decomissioned Ships web list
- American Government and War
- Free Memorial Day e-cards page
Literature, Poetry and Letters
- Recollections of a Virginian in the Mexican, Indian and Civil Wars, 1894
- The War Prayer-A Play -Adapted from a short story by Mark Twain.
- Whitman, Walt. . Leaves of Grass.
- With My Family on Memorial Day
- Letters Home from a Soldier in the U. S. Civil War
- A Directory for Letters Home from Soldiers in the U. S. Civil War -- scroll down the page for this and other resources
- Gulf War Diary of Robert Werman
What They had to say on War and Peace
- Saint Augustine
- Menachem Begin
- Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
- A. E. Housman
- Bible, Isaiah
- John Lennon
- Martin Luther
- Robert Lynd
- John Milton
- Pablo Neruda
- William Shakespeare
- UNESCO Constitution
- Frederick Moore Vinson
- Woodrow Wilson
Go to: [Davis Community Network | Davis Virtual Market ]
Input and suggestions are always welcome at email@example.com